Sunday 10 July 2011

Swimming with seals (part 2)

Swimming with a seal sounds all very lovely but in reality it isn't. ..I think it's something to do with the sheer size of it and the fact it can swim up under you and take you by surprise. I was in Brixham, swimming between Fishcombe and Churston Coves. It is beautiful there. Crystal clear water, and I swam over the most ethereal eel grass beds, which are home to sea horses (but none were visible). I was happily absorbed in my watery world, watching fishes etc, when I noticed a dog in the water. I then did a classic Tom and Jerry style double take when I realised it was a seal...and made a beeline for the nearest rocks. I cowered there pathetically for a while before realising I would have to be brave otherwise I'd spend the rest of the day there. I made my way back, clinging to the shore all the way. Thanks to the girls in the lovely Cove Cafe at Fishcombe for looking after my stuff.

3 comments:

Bagpuss said...

Glad to hear it's still open - when we were there last year the owners had it up for sale. Is it under new ownership?

Sophie said...

I don't know - it's a lovely little place though, in a gorgeous situation....

Aaron said...

I was there yesturday and saw a whole load of seals swimming, lounging on rocks and playing, and did the same thing.... Headed straight for the rocks to get a closer look and to get a few pictures but only had my phone so not very good pictures. But it was the first time i had seen a seal in the wild and it was amazing :D