Sunday 24 February 2013

Swimming in the snow


I awoke to tiny snowflakes swirling around in a rather aimless fashion.  They didn't settle in Ashburton, but when we got to Spitchwick there was a lovely white dusting, a strong contrast to the dark snake of the river running through.   It was so cold outside there actually wasn't much of a shock getting in to the water, which Judy's watch said was 1.7 degrees C.  As I started to swim, trying to suppress the urge to scream violently, I started to feel the familiar and strange pleasure/pain of a thousand needles attacking my limbs, and then a burning sensation on my skin.  I know it sounds mad, but this is actually incredibly invigorating - the perfect way to start the day, especially when rounded off with a tot of my new favourite post-swim tipple, spiced rum. Later we went on a walk to Foggintor Quarry, where I've swum in the past, it was transformed into an ice lake, absolutely beautiful.

No comments: