Monday 22 December 2008

Santa comes early

I was sitting drinking a cup of tea and reading the Guardian when I heard the sound of piped carols. It got louder and louder; then there was a knock on the door. I opened it to find Father Christmas sitting on his sleigh outside, though there were no reindeers in evidence; he was being pulled along by a man in a Landrover. It is a lovely festive tradition in Ashburton. In the days up to Christmas, Santa travels around the town, calling on local children and raising money for charity.

1 comment:

Sophers said...

I remember this happening in Torcross, Devon when I was a child. I think the Rotary put it on and I'm not sure if it still happens, but was warmed to read it does somewhere! I used to think Santa and the sleigh came very late at night (as it was dark), but it was probably around 5pm. I'm also inspired by your wild swims, I hear the Lochs in the Hebrides are fr-freeezing but I'm game to give it a try!