Wednesday 31 August 2011

A trip to Tinside

I can't believe I've lived in Devon all this time and never visited Tinside Lido in Plymouth. It is spectacular in its Deco elegance and its sheer scale. On a rocky outcrop projecting into the Sound, it feels like being on an ocean liner. It's a glorious place to swim and a wonderful place to spend the afternoon. With its sunbathing terraces, there is something for everyone. And this year, entry is free. (it's probably the first and last year it will be free). All along the foreshore near the Lido are the remains of concrete steps and smaller tidal pools; the fact that most of them have gone to rack and ruin, and some have been blocked off by the council, is very sad.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Hello, I also live in Devon and really like your blog, I was wondering if I could use some of the text/ideas you've written for a university project I have?... Im going into my second year of an illustration degree and we've been asked as a summer project to design a travel guide written by local people,so I thought it would be good to have a Devon swimming section featuring some of your swim spots .

Sophie said...

Hi Beth, thanks. Please email me. There's a link to email me on my profile page. Thanks, Sophie